Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy July 4th

Being the type of person who doesn't like to be limited a whole lot, I'm pretty dern grateful to live in a country that will support pretty much anything I want to do. Whatever I'm into, there's an app, or a club, or a grant for that. Beyond religious freedom, or a democratic government, there is so much more I love about this country. I wake up almost every day feeling like I have a present in my hands waiting to be unwrapped. If one book could some up my feelings about life it would be Dr. Suess's Oh the Places You'll Go. You know the book. It's been quoted a lot in recent years. It was read to my freshman class at Palm Beach Atlantic College. If you haven't read it in awhile, here's the text and it's awesome! The thing is that
Mr. Theodor Seuss Geisel didn't write this book in a dusty old house on a dusty old street in Afghanistan. He wasn't in Rwanda hiding from a neighbor coming after him with a machete.  I know that even in those places, each day is a gift and good can be found, but it just makes it a heck of a lot easier to be grateful when you know you're safe, encouraged, and cleared for takeoff no matter what you want to do?

civil war reenactor during the opening prayer of the fireworks last night
in case you're wondering, yes... a cannon blast in the middle of the audience was really loud. Tried taking a picture of the exact moment but as you can see from the picture below I still jumped and it blurred.

No comments: