Thursday, June 2, 2011

Life in all its dullness can be such a drag sometimes, you know? If you haven't ever paused to look at your life and wonder what in the world happened to the adventure, the intrigue, the mysteries that you thought life was full of when you were young, then you're really special I guess. It's a funny thing that we're created with these desire that can't possibly be fulfilled in modern day life. We can't be Elizabeth Swan because we know we'd probably die, plus the Caribbean isn't full of pirates anymore. We can't be Cinderella because waiting around for a man or a fairy godmother is just impractical and we could never afford those shoes anyway. We've found out romance doesn't look like we thought it did.


You want to know what I think though? I THINK this desire for adventure and wildness at the root of our hearts is a desire for something more spiritual than it is physical. I think what we're really longing for is a place of wildness and rapture and pure loveliness that will be ours when our bodies kick the bucket here on earth. The fire that burns in us for this place just burns right on through our death and into our true home. There's nothing more wild and unpredictable and untameable than God's immense love for us that sends us bumping and rolling and holding on for dear life until His plan for us here is through.

As for romance, what do we want as women more than someone who will not let go of us, who will love our every nasty flaw, who sees beauty where there's pain and still calls us each His favorite. Yes I definitely think this longing is spiritual, but the question is how do we grab ahold of a piece of it in our practical, day-to-day lives? Maybe it's just recognizing that under the surface we have a spirit that is more alive than the cells in our body. Maybe it's having an awareness that there's a lot more going on than we see and that we're a part of a play set on such a grand stage that we can't see it's significance.


Give me one more time around
Give me one more chance to see
Give me everything you are
Give me one more chance to be... (near you)

Cause everything inside looks like
Everything I hate
You are the hope I have for change
You are the only chance I’ll take

Switchfoot - On Fire








No comments: