Monday, August 9, 2010

This is Burt. He came to live in our cart at Target for just a brief time, but he endeared himself to us all. I found him discarded among the school supplies somewhere between the colored pencils and the glue sticks.  Don't be put off by the side-eye he's giving Lydia in this picture. It was love at first sight. I knew just where Burt would live out the rest of his days, in the cozy nook of our wingback chair in the kitchen.

It turned out that Burt asked for way too much though....$17.99 to be exact. I left him amongst the cleaning supplies near the toilet plungers.  I heard he made it back to his kin on the children's bedding aisle. While it lasted longer than the average relationship, I still felt robbed of my time with him. I remember him whenever I see that empty wingback chair.

No comments: