Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lydia goes to a school where many of the moms look like the mother from The Blindside....affluent, southern, sassy, etc. and consequently I stand out like a sore thumb. As our clunky, but beloved, Jeep pulls into the drop-off line in the morning and into the sea of shiny high-end SUV's I feel a little intimidated sometimes. Then, I notice the kids who are all decked out in head-to-toe Abercrombie climb out and grab their LL Bean backpacks with a side of attitude,  and I look over at my kid in her original, somewhat thrifted wardrobe and am instantly THANKFUL my adult life hasn't been priviledged. No I mean it I really am, because I cannot ignore the verse in the Bible that mentions how it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. I'm glad Lydia and I weren't put on that converyor belt. That's not really what this post was meant to be about. I MEANT to see what you think about the stickers people put on their cars bragging about the sports teams their kids are on. Because with Lydia making the dance team comes the pressure to put something similar to this on the back of our car,

 and everything in me screams "Yuck! NO!" but I don't want Lydia to feel like I'm not proud of her. I tested the waters with her this afternoon and pretended to gag myself when the subject came up. She seemed willing to do without one but I'm not sure if it's just because she saw my intense dislike. So what do you think? Obnoxious or not? It's an important decision since I'll have to remove my rebel flag and p*ss on Chevy bumper stickers in order to make room. (i hope you know that's a joke).

No comments: