Monday, May 30, 2011

Grandpa Frederick 1945

This is the man who taught me to roller skate...the man who never got irritated with the little girl who talked his ear off while he tinkered in his garage...the man who rode me around in a basket on the back of his bike...the man who said I made a few years of his life the best ever...the man who was a constant mystery. This is my grandpa...one of them...who I remember this Memorial Day. What fun it would be to somehow be transported into this picture...to dance with my grandpa in his WWII soldier's uniform to the sounds of Tommy Dorsey on the record player...to steal a few swigs from that bottle of Coke...maybe wear his hat.  Dancing wasn't my grandpa's style I don't think....at least when I knew him, but the thought makes me smile.

No comments: