Thursday, January 7, 2010

Orzo With Chicken, Spinach, Feta, and Tomatoes

I somehow maintained my motivation to cook a couple of nights ago long enough to complete a trip to the hillbilly Walmart for the ingredients. I'm not sure how appetizing this dish will look to you, but trust me it's really tasty. You can replace the chicken with cooked shrimp, or just leave the meat out all together.

4 cups of chicken broth

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 onion, diced

1 teaspoon dried oregano

juice of 1 lemon

1 can of diced tomatoes with juice

1 lb box of orzo

1lb of pre-cooked chicken cubed into about 1 inch pieces

8 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped

1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions

Pour the olive oil in to a large skillet or small dutch oven over medium heat.

Add onion and saute until translucent.

Add the can of tomatoes, broth, lemon juice and oregano. Bring to a boil.

Add the orzo and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the chicken and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until the pasta is cooked.

Add the spinach and stir until just wilted.

Place in bowls and garnish with the feta cheese.
Serves 6.

2 comments:

Shannan Martin said...

This sounds SO yummy! I'm gonna try it. :)

Shannan Martin said...

Hey! I just linked this recipe up on my blog. Thanks!