Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, and Sleep Apnea

Last night I had a sleep study done at the sleep lab here at the hospital. I don't have the official report, but the technician did tell me I have sleep apnea. If you're like me, your pain is always worse when you haven't had a good night's sleep. I think anyone with chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, or other types of chronic pain should be screened for sleeping disorders. Estimates are that 90% of cases of sleep apnea go undiagnosed. You may think you're getting a good night's sleep when your sleep is actually not restorative, and this has to make pain worse. Sleep deprivation has been used as a means of torture before, so obviously people will feel terrible if the quality of their sleep isn't good. This is just something to think or pray about if you feel worn out during the day. It may be a sleep disorder.

No comments: