Thursday, April 16, 2009

Hope Amidst Pain

I used to think fibromyalgia was a disease for hypochondriacs. I can't believe I had the nerve to make that kind of judgment, as if I was familiar with all types of pain in the world and could decipher what was real and what wasn't. What pure arrogance that was. Fibromyalgia is like having something riding on your back day in and day out. It makes you feel like you've put in double the effort you really have. It feels as though your bones are aching and no matter how hard you try you cannot find the source of the pain. It leaves you exhausted both physically and mentally. As I lie in bed I toss, turn, rub my arms, and stretch. When I wake up I have to uncurl my stiff fingers, arms, and legs. Amidst all of this I have to accept that life as I knew it no longer exists. After 5 years of doing everything imaginable to figure out why I'm in pain, I now have to learn how to cope with it. Somehow I have to continually choose to live life differently than those who suffer and don't know Christ, because Jesus commanded us to live better, without a caveat for those of us who don't feel good. I was reminded recently on another blog that Jesus often chose the weakest of people to use for his purpose while he was on earth. He hasn't changed. If you found this blog while searching for information on fibromyalgia, please know that you're not alone. The feelings you have when you're newly diagnosed and at different points along this journey are shared by many others. I thought I was the only one who could not make people understand my pain. Feel free to leave your comments here so we can keep in touch, or email me at jenn.whisenant@gmail.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your nice comment on my blog. Your writing is lovely. I have R.A. so I can truly relate.

Blessings,
Cyndi
God Nuggets Blog

Unknown said...

Hello again! The first year of our marriage was HORRIBLE, too! And we have a high maintenance marriage, too! I think you would love the Weekend to Remember. They have one in Chatanooga in the fall, and we can get you a discounted rate, so let me know. It is excellent. I'm so glad that we connected through the blog carnival. If I can resource you in any way, just let me know. :)

Blessings,
Cyndi
God Nuggets Blog

Unknown said...

I'm glad I found your blog, because I have an incurable neurological disease that causes steady, severe neck and shoulder pain, and I struggle to have faith in spite of it.

And I have 2 daughters, 9 and 6, and it hurts not to be able to do the things I want to do with them. But I just can't. Merely taking them to a movie would cause an intolerable amount of pain for me.

Like I said, I'm glad I found your blog. I look forward to going back and reading some of your older posts ~ Allison